Sometimes it’s obvious to see that you have humidity problems, the green on your walls doesn’t tell lies. However, at other times it’s not so easy to spot.
So here are some tell-tale signs that will help you to discern immediately if you need a dehumidifier:
- If you have water beading on the interior glass of a window or fog/vapor on that glass, you have too much moisture in that room. Patio doors are another place to check for this excessive moisture.
- If you see mold in a black or dark brown color anywhere in your home, there is too much moisture. Look for mold on window trim or on the track of your patio door, in corners and on ceilings, in and around showers and toilets.
- If you smell a musty odor at any location in your home, even the entrance, you probably have excessive moisture in that area.
- Obviously, if you see a water mark in your basement, at some point in time there was far too much water in that area. That means that the basement probably has a regular need for dehumidifying.
- If you have a dryer lint trap that has not been cleaned recently or a plugged exterior vent, then you will have excess moisture in your dryer, which will give your clothes a musty smell.
A dehumidifier will help you to control the amount of moisture in your living space, but it will not solve the root problem. To do that, you might need to remove all of the moldy areas in your home and then repair those walls, windows and/or wood, using a paint that resists mildew. You can also put a special seal on these areas to block more moisture from entering them.
If moisture has not gained a large foothold in your home, a dehumidifier can nip the problem in the bud and save your health and wallet.