Thinking of buying a portable air conditioner?
Then let’s have a look at the advantages and disadvantages of portable air conditioners.
- Require absolutely no installation for the non-handyman
- They can be used wherever needed and are easily moved from one room to another
- Are getting less expensive every day
- Can often be hidden so it won’t influence the look of your room
- Portable units generate a good bit of noise
- They are not as economical as window units because some warm air is being discharged into the room along with the cool air. Even with a venting hose, you will need more air conditioner to keep a room cool.
- Some portable units have water that drains into a tank. You will have to empty this tank regularly. Some units have hoses that can be attached and channeled to the exterior. Technically challenged people might have a hard time even putting in the venting kit.
- The larger the unit, the heavier it is and more difficult to move from one location to another
- Very large rooms will not be cooled adequately by a portable unit