Here are the considerations you need to go through when you’re thinking of buying an electric fireplace…
- They are cheaper than a wood-burning fireplace to install and operate. They often come as free-standing units or can easily be attached to a wall, requiring far fewer modifications in the building plan of your house. If you have an apartment or condo, an electric fireplace might be your only option, unless you own the entire building and can build a chimney up the side of your residence. In smaller homes, adding a chimney is also an expensive long shot.
- They can heat a small room much more efficiently than a real fireplace.
- They match modern looks and architectural styles much better than many wood fireplaces.
- They are far easier to use than a wood fireplace. Just plug them in and digital flames and heat are turned on! With some models, you can even turn off the heat and just keep the look of the flame.
- They require far less maintenance than a wood-burning fireplace.
- They don’t have the natural look and feel of a wood fireplace.
- They don’t produce any wonderful smells or noise that you associate with a fireplace. They look and feel fake.
- If you have a power outage due to a winter storm, your electric fireplace will produce no heat and no flame, obviously.